Home Appraisal vs Home Inspection
Summary: A home appraisal and home inspection may seem similar since they evaluate homes, however, they are vastly different in their evaluation process. An appraisal determines the value of a property based on recent sales of comparable properties as close geographically as possible. General notes and comments on the condition of the property are also noted. An inspection is a thorough examination of the property’s condition including the mechanicals of the home.
If you are a first-time home buyer or a seasoned buyer, consider a home inspection and your mortgage lender will let you know if an appraisal will be required. Home appraisals and inspections are beneficial to buyers who are considering a home mortgage loan. Both make sure the potential owner is purchasing a functionable and safe property at an accurate and fair price. They may seem similar as they evaluate a buyer’s property; however, an appraisal determines the value of a home while an inspection determines the condition.
- A more accurate assessment of the home’s value.
- An appraisal management company that is not connected to your mortgage lender will send an appraiser.
- Visual attributes such as upgrades and imperfections within the interior and exterior of the home will be noted.
- The appraiser will compare your house to recently sold homes within the neighborhood to help determine your home’s value.
- Homeowners will learn the value of their home in the final appraisal report.
- Home inspectors focus on safety issues and damages within the home.
- Safety issues include electrical wires hanging out, cracks in the foundation, or mold.
- Home damages include an unstable roof, pipes, or leaking walls.
- Home inspectors look beyond the visual attributes and dig deeper to get a sound understanding of the home.
- The home inspector will inform and educate the homeowner of any current and future problems and provide viable solutions.
- A report summarizing the condition of the home will be provided at the end of the inspection.
For more information, chat with us at callhallfirst.com or give us a call at 866-Call-Hall.